Monday, October 16, 2006

THE OFFICE

you would think that as a manager, your staff would be a little careful about how they act around you, little cautious, and generally be afraid of their manager and not the other way around... that's cause you haven't met M (i wont use her real name- ill just call her M). She's not mean in the sense that she's rude, makes you feel really small, and is just bitter, but she would scare even the bouncers in the clubs with her bluntness and voice. and what's worse is that I'm her manager and I'm afraid of her (its really not that funny....OK maybe just a little).
she's the data entry lady in the office, and is very organised and meticulous, she works 8 hours a day no more no less, has her lunch at exactly 12.30 every day and comes back to her desk at 1pm without fail, she does the filling every second Friday, and even if there is an earth quake she will not leave until its done. as her manager sometimes if we have a deadline which needs to be undertaken asap i will ask her to put her filling away because it is not very important and help out with the deadline, usually that causes such a fuss, because now i have messed up her precise schedule. (now I'm not sure if its just me, but when my manager says to me we have a deadline usually i rearrange my priorities so that it gets done, i don't yell at my manager, i value my job too much. but hey that might just be me)
her desk is so organised that if you take a pen from her desk she knows which one you have taken and God help you when she unleashes her furry on you because you have messed up her organised desk.
one day she was away and her computer is the only one which links up directly to the colour printer, so normally she save the document you need in colour in the shared drive, send her an e-mail and she prints it for you no problem. But when shes away you either wait till she comes back, or take the risk that she will scream at you for sitting at her desk.
so where was i..... OK so she was away and i had a report to print out, so i log into her computer using my account and do my thing print my report. the next day first thing i feel her eyes on my back and I'm trying to pretend that i don't notice her looking at me, so she puts her arms up and starts waving at me. and then it comes. WHY WERE YOU AT MY DESK ... i look at her and think, why should i be scared I'm her manager, trying to gather all the strength that i have being little and everything, and then i decided I'm going to stand up to her, so in a very assertive voice i told her exactly why i was there, adding for her not to worry cause i didn't eat anything on her desk.
i felt quite proud of myself

2 comments:

Unknown said...

dude - that sounds scary. just sack her already, you're her manager. And also, if you want some humour, give me her number, i'll give her the prank call of her life.

Anissa said...

ummm yeah except she's deaf